Saturday, 4 January 2014

Cooking Update - Beef Stew and Cheesy Herb Dumplings.

I said I would post updates on my New Year's Resolutions so here is the first one! 

I made beef stew today and decided to add cheesy herb dumplings to it. I had never tried either recipe but it turned out pretty well! It is quite tricky to figure out what to cook at home as, although my dad will eat most things, my mum is a vegetarian, and my brother can't eat due to his condition. My mum is being really supportive of this goal so made Quorn stew and had some of the dumplings I made. She is also being very patient! 

I didn't stick to the recipes I read ..... I never do! I always faff and make little adjustments and alterations even when it is the first time using a recipe. Probably not the best decision! 

The Stew. 
2tbsp sunflower oil
400g braising steak cut into cubes
1 carrot peeled and chopped
1 potato peeled and cubed
1 onion diced
2 level tbsp plain flour
150ml beef or vegetable stock
1tbsp redcurrant jelly (I used cranberry sauce as we had some left from Christmas!)
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3. Put the casserole dish on the hob (check if your dish is suitable!) and heat up the oil. Add the beef and brown all over then remove from the dish and put to one side. Add the vegetables to the dish and stir in the flour until it is evenly mixed. Cook the vegetables for around 5 minutes. Add the beef, stock, redcurrant jelly, salt, and pepper and bring to the boil. Cover with the lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours. 

The Dumplings. 
175g self-raising flour
75g suet (I used vegetarian suet)
50g grated Cheddar cheese
2tbsp chopped fresh herbs (as this was last minute I used a smaller amount of dry herbs)
4 to 5tbsp milk

Place the flour in a bowl and stir in the suet, cheese, and herbs. Mix in enough milk to make a soft dough. Divide into 8 equal pieces and roll into balls. Remove the lid of the casserole dish and place the 8 balls on top of the stew. With the dish uncovered, return to the oven and cook for 30 more minutes. 

Serve and enjoy! 


The dumplings were nice but fell apart quite a bit so perhaps the mixture was a little too dry. Also I cut up the potatoes into pieces that were far too small and they had practically disappeared!

Blessings,

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment