Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you all! I hope that 2014 brings you peace and prosperity! I truly appreciate all of my readers and the time you take to post comments and share your thoughts! 

I have been working on my resolutions for a little while and finally have them categorised and in some sort of order. 2014 feels like a new start but really every day is a new start and a chance to try again and to try harder! I thought I would share my aims for the coming year as there aren't that many of them and hopefully making them public will make me check my progress and report back! 

Faith.

Time with God - I really need to get back into a regular routine of waking up and spending time in God's Word. I always feel so much better when I do! It really has a positive influence on my attitude during the day. I really need to work harder at keeping my focus on God and not letting life and stresses distract me. I need to trust more in God's plan for me and really need to work on being more content and comparing myself less to other people. 

Influences - I will be cutting out any books, magazines, television shows, and films, that are not either encouraging, educating, or wholesome entertainment. I am cutting out the grey areas! Those things that I sort of justify to myself while knowing deep down that they are not a positive influence on me. A lot more discretion is needed in this area! I have magazines such as Keepers At Home, the King's Blooming Rose, and Shining Stars Magazine as well as a lot of books both fiction and non-fiction plus DVDs such as Homemaking 101 and the Homestead Blessings DVDs so I am not lacking in this area. I just need to resist the temptation of those forms of entertainment that glamorise rebelliousness and a lack of faith. 

Character - This will include not battling against what God designed me to be. Rather I will be embracing my feminine side and my feminine role. I have been doing this previously but not with any conscious effort as I have just done what has come naturally to me. I will be working on qualities including patience, charity, kindness, modesty, submission, and humility. I fully expect to fail .... a lot .... but I will keep working! 

Life.

Health - I want to focus more on my health this year. My issue is that, when things get busy or stressful, my health drops to the bottom of the priority list. That is crazy! I finally figured out that if I take care of myself then I will be more able to take care of others. With my caring role at home this is essential! 

Organisation - I am going to be more mindful of what I spend my time on this year. We don't have an infinite amount after all! Many days I seem to be running about from the moment I get up until the moment I go to bed and yet there is so much that doesn't get done. I have a new diary on the way so I can keep track of all my commitments and also record any deadlines I set myself. 

Budget - I wasn't sure whether to put this under Life or Domestic! This year I have a proper budget that I am going to stick to. I have a little notepad and am going to record every penny I spend. I am not terrible with money, I have no debt, and carefully consider before buying anything "big" but I do tend to fritter money away a bit too easily. This is a weakness that I want to get under control. 

Domestic.

Cooking - I can follow a recipe but am not really confident at cooking. I have a new book to help me called Mary Berry's Cookery Course. Oh it looks amazing and Mary Berry is just wonderful! I have already picked out a couple of recipes to try including classic beef casserole, chicken and mushroom pie, and lemon drizzle tray bake. I really like that this book is proper home cooking and not fancy food! 

Sewing - I will learn to machine sew properly! The sewing machine makes me a little nervous but I will conquer it this year! I also intend to continue hand sewing and embroidery as I enjoy those but I am so slow! How lovely it would be to sew an apron and then embroider it! Maybe I will start with embroidering handkerchiefs! 

Letter Writing - Now that I am writing to quite a few people I am setting up a proper schedule. It didn't matter if the letters piled up for a little while before I replied before but now that I have my pen pals and sponsor children I end up with quite a pile to write to all at once! The plan is to reply within a week of receiving a letter. 

So these are my aims for the year! A lot of them seem to interlink and a big theme is not wasting. Not wasting my health or my time. I will probably post updates on here throughout the year to keep track and to keep myself motivated. 

Do you make New Year's Resolutions? 

Blessings,

Jenny

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful resolutions! I share many of yours, and am looking forward to your posts of 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep updating - if I don't - remind me! :) x

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the resolutions - I am still working on mine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine tend to take me quite a while to figure out - I tend to write a basic list and then expand on it. Good luck with your resolutions too! x

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! Thank you for sharing your resolutions. You've inspired me to work on time management as well. I'm still figuring out some of my resolutions, but one of the most important ones I know I need to work on is talking to God more through prayer.

    I think the key to New Year's resolutions is to make them, but then just take one day at a time. It's much easier to accomplish them that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too!

      I think that if I can get control of time management then I will be able to fit everything else in a little better. I was surprised how much my resolutions linked with each other once I really though about it.

      I think you are right - one day at a time is key! x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. I haven't made a lot of resolutions except to try to be faithful! I enjoyed yours so much. Reaching from Raising Homemakers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find I work better with a list - somehow it is simpler all written down. Being faithful is so important and really it affects so many areas in life. x

      Delete
  5. I love your resolutions, Jenny! Especially the faith part. Yes, to cut out any ungodly influences is such a powerful blessing and to monitor what we are consuming into our hearts/minds/souls. Awesome idea! I also love that you are embracing God's design for femininity. SO BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my resolutions are important to me - some years I didn't make them or, if I did, they were frivolous. These ones seem like they will make a positive impact in my life!

      I think that cutting out ungodly influences will make the rest easier - that way I won't be thinking (too much!) about worldly standards. Being more feminine is also something that I will be working on step by step! x

      Delete