Thursday, 26 September 2013

Guest Post - Lizzie on Sponsorship.

Something a bit different today as I have a post to share from Lizzie! Lizzie is a Compassion sponsor and we met on the Compassion forum. Right from the start I was so impressed with how dedicated she was to her sponsor and correspondent children. Lizzie blogs at Love is an Action and posts about letters from her children, Compassion, and her fundraising and volunteering. She also makes beautiful sponsor bracelets with beads representing each country and there are some lovely examples on her blog. Lizzie is on an incredible journey with Compassion and here, without further ado, here is her guest post! 

It has been two years now, since I saw her face for the first time. I call her "my angel" because God truly sent her to me. Aprila was my first Compassion child. When I requested a girl correspondent, I didn't know what I expected. But I would never have guessed it would be like it is. I would have never guessed that this little girl would change my life.

I was 13 and loved little kids. I loved writing letters. So it made sense to ask Compassion for a girl to write to. If I was going to get a girl to correspond with, I might as well read up on Compassion. So I read the entire site, mesmerised by it all. I read the stories. I read the stats. I learned about countries I did not know even existed. 

I learned what poverty was and that it is real. 

I did not understand at first. My family was poor. We were the ones with old cell phones and hand-me-down clothes. All we got on TV was the very basic cable channels. No Discovery channels for us! Reading about people dying from curable diseases and hunger and about people being enslaved (yes, it still happens), I slowly began to see that we weren't so poor after all. 


Then, along came my girl, my angel. I glanced at her face, and she stole my heart. I can't say that it all became real then or that my life instantly changed. After reading through many Compassion-related blogs and learning about Indonesia, though, I did begin to change. 

Before I had realised we weren't that poor, but I still lived like we were. Gradually, I began to understand that we were quite well-off. And I started to live like it too. Why buy more nail polish when I already have more than I need? I started to buy sticker for my angel instead. And could I really complain about eating sandwiches when my angel might not even eat lunch today? 

It has been a crazy two years. So many changes took place in my life. If someone told me back then that I would be sponsoring a child, no a 21 year old girl, I would have laughed at them. Or if  someone told me that my list of people to pray for would grow by 11 children around the world, I would have thought them crazy. But it has happened. 

Compassion is an amazing ministry, and they are changing lives. When I started partnering with Compassion, I thought the poor children's lives would be changed. I was right. But I completely missed something. It changed my life too! 

After getting a letter from my angel, I decided to ask for another correspondent - a teen girl this time. Let's just say, I kinda totally fell in love with Compassion! Now, I sponsor an older girl and a lil guy, correspond with 7 sweethearts, and co-sponsor another girl. Each one has touched my heart and made me think about things differently. 

I wanted others to realise how blessed they are and feel the incredible joy that comes from having a relationship with a child in poverty. So, I became a Compassion advocate. Even as I think through all the things God has done through that, I am amazed. A couple more kiddos have loving, writing sponsors now. Knowing that I played a small role in that is crazy! 

I am so thankful that God brought Compassion into my life. He definitely knew and knows what He is doing. I am just so excited to see what His plan is with all of that as it unfolds into a beautiful picture. 

Thank you Lizzie for sharing your Compassion journey with us! 

If you are interesting in finding out more about Compassion and to take a look at the children in need of sponsors please click here.

Blessings,

Jenny

8 comments:

  1. Is Compassion only for those in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most countries have their own Compassion website - the American one is the biggest but Canada has one and so do some European countries. x

      Delete
    2. Also, you can see a list of all the partner countries here- www.compassion.com/about/Offices.htm If you don't live in one of those countries, you can still sponsor a child and just use an "out of country" address!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for having me, Jenny!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun post!! Thanks, Jenny, for inviting Lizzie to post, and thanks Lizzie, for sharing your story!! I was so encouraged by reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you were encouraged by this! Thanks for reading Hannah :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it! :) I love thinking back and seeing how God is changing my life!

      Delete