Monday, 9 September 2013

Garden Bits.

Things are ripening all over! Every time I wander around the garden I end up eating baby tomatoes .... some of them are a little hard to reach as the garden has become a little wild! I planted a squash and that has gone crazy. For so long there was just one flower and a couple of leave but, after the recent rain, it has exploded! There are leaves and flowers and twirly tendrils stretching out on stems of up to four feet in length. Only one little squash so far but I will be keeping my eye on it! 

My tayberries are almost finished now and I am planning on planting it into the garden for next year. It did quite well in a pot but it became a bit top heavy and really needed something stronger to climb up. 


There are tomatoes in pots as well as tomatoes planted in the garden. Somehow all the seedlings seemed to survive and it was tricky finding places for them all so there are tomatoes in the flower beds! 


Now these are my experimental and slightly scary plants! Tomatillos! The stems are so thick and there are these little lanterns all over them. They look beautiful! They aren't ripe yet and I think it will be a while before they are. Then I have to figure out what to do with them! This was another example of all the seedlings surviving so over half of a raised bed is taken up with tomatillo plants. 


Courgettes! Some of them have ended up huge! I really should have checked on them more often as, after a little rain, they grow so rapidly. This year I have grown round courgettes. They look nice but I think I prefer the normal ones. Maybe one of each next year! 

 

I still have apples on my trees! So excited about that! I have been watering them like a crazy person and checking them for bugs and pests. I can't wait until they are ripe! I think I will be eating a lot of apples! 


I have been thinking about what I have learnt from the garden this year and what changes I will make for next year. There have been some successes and some failures. All learning opportunities!

Blessings,

Jenny

3 comments:

  1. My garden is producing about the same. We have thousands of tomatoes (or at least it feels like that :), zucchini, and apples! :~D We also have a lot of squash, broccoli, peppers, and pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Tomatillos, what are they? When I first saw the picture I thought they were Japanese Lantern plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) And I thought they were ground cherries.

    ReplyDelete