Friday, 5 July 2013

Sponsoring a Child Changes the Sponsor.

It really does! I expected to have a sort of gradual mindset change but this was dramatic and pretty much instant. It sounds like such a cliché but my eyes were opened to just how much we have here. Really everything is set up to create a life of ease. We may work hard at home or in our jobs but we have water just from turning a tap and light from flicking a switch. 

Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. 
Hebrews 13 : 16 

I am looking around my room and (apart from a few sentimental that I treasure and that mean a lot to me) it is all starting to look like clutter. I just don't see the point of it! It isn't doing any good to anyone. It is pretty but it doesn't really matter to me. I have a beautiful crystal bowl and vase that belonged to my Gran that I love because she loved crystal and saved up to buy it. They remind me of her and yet they don't stand out as they are surrounded and overpowered by meaningless stuff. My treasures have a story to them or they remind me of someone special but their worth is diluted when they are hidden behind tat and dust collectors. 

She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
Proverbs 31 : 20

On the Compassion website there are descriptions for each child but also information on the area that they live in. It explains what the common jobs are, the food that is eaten, the illnesses that afflict there, and the average wage per month. Some are shockingly low! There are people out there working for the equivalent of maybe £3 or £4 per month. And that is those lucky enough to have jobs! For example, where Loani lives in Honduras the average monthly wage is £100. A pair of shoes would cost around £20. A fifth of the monthly income on a pair of shoes! There are 5 children in Loani's family and shoes wouldn't be at the top of the list of priorities. How many pairs of shoes do you have? I have more than I need! 


This is what matters to me. This is real. 

Sponsoring makes poverty so personal. You know the name of a child living in poverty. You learn about them and their family. Their favourite colour and what they want to be when they grow up. They are more than a figure or a statistic. God prepared my heart for this and waited until I was ready to hear about those that suffer. I knew that poverty existed but it was abstract to me. As a family, we had times where we had little money but that is nothing compared to the poverty that some people live in each and every day of their lives. 

I saw their suffering and need and could not turn from them. Will you look away?

But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? 
1 John 3 : 17

Blessings,

Jenny

10 comments:

  1. I completely agree that sponsoring changes the sponsor also....it's so neat to be able to serve God in this way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't expect it and it has been fascinating to read stories from other sponsors!

      Hoping to post more about it soon! x

      Delete
  2. I completely understand what you are saying. For American standards, I don't have much - but in the grand scheme of things, I have an abundance! I just started sponsoring today and I can't stop thinking about what is truly a "necessity".

    God bless,

    Sherry

    http://wermorethanconquerors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! By UK standards I don't have a great deal but I have a roof over my head and never worry about where my next meal is coming from. It is really making me think about what I actually need compared to just things that I want. x

      Delete
  3. I completely agree also. I have been reading about Heidi Baker in Mozambique and how she organized help for thousands of the world's poorest children and I am led to be ashamed of how much I have. I want so much to change and to help others as God is leading me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of Heidi Baker - will have to look her up!

      I felt the same when reading Kisses from Katie .... it is inspiring! x

      Delete
  4. Jenny, I read your Facebook post about Kiva; will you write more about it please? I am interested :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a post about Kiva for Sunday!

      Here is an invite link though in case you want to read up! x

      http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/jenny4352

      Delete
  5. When I started sponsoring a child 19 years ago I thought I would change the world for Judith....I had NO IDEA that God would use sponsorship to change my world! You are right on with this.

    ReplyDelete