Sunday, 7 July 2013

Kiva.

Sponsoring with Compassion has opened up new opportunities to help others! First I learnt about Love Mercy Uganda and now I have been reading up about Kiva. It is amazing that God has opened my heart so much and then presented these opportunities! 


Kiva says "We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world." That is what was really interesting to me. Donating my £20 on my own won't do much but linking with maybe 10 or 20 other people gives us the power needed to change the life of a person fighting their way out of poverty. 

I see it as helping someone achieve their dream! They are ready to work hard and put the hours into their business but they need that extra help to get started. There are so many projects on the site from help buying goods to start up a shop, to taxi repairs, to scholarship help, and even buying a bee colony! You can search by country as well as by type of project. It is so interesting to read a little about the person requesting a loan. 

I love this because sometimes I have a little extra money that I want to use for a good cause but it isn't a steady amount that would be required for a child sponsorship. With Kiva I can give a loan $25 (about £20) whenever I have that spare. It isn't a long term monthly commitment and I know that a lot of people just can't afford to sponsor a child for 10 or more years. This is a lot more short term than that! 

You make your loan to one of the financial partners who support Kiva. In a way you are giving these partners the ability to make future loans and to help more people and, as the loans have already been given out, people don't have to wait ages and ages to get a loan!  You can check up on the loans that you have made and you get updates as the repayments are made. The repayments are yours but, of course, you are free to lend again and help someone else!

Now this is something amazing! This link is an invite from me to you. It lets you give a loan of $25 to a Kiva project of your choice at no cost to you at all! I hope that you take this chance to help someone achieve their dream!

http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/jenny4352

Kiva - Loans that change lives.

Blessings,

Jenny

7 comments:

  1. I love Kiva, as well. I have only given one loan so far, but it is something I would like to continue to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really exciting but also moving to read the stories on there. To realise that these people are struggling every day and yet are still striving to provide a better life for their family! x

      Delete
  2. I plan to make a loan soon as well. I don't have a steady income so, as you said, it will work better for me than a sponsorship. I've also recently become aware of ways to help others and, like you, Jenny, God has opened my heart and made me more aware of the needs of others and given me the realization that I have more than enough for myself. The other organizations that I have become concerned with are:

    http://www.persecution.com/

    https://www.facebook.com/joy.org

    http://www.irisglobal.org/

    I would love to sew clothes for needy children when I can too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking of you today! Love your encouraging comments!

      I will look into your links - there really are so many opportunities to help others out there! I recently started sponsoring with Plant-a-Book ( http://plantabook.org )where, for $12.50 a month, you can sponsor a primary school child in Nairobi!

      My sewing skills are no where near the level where I would inflict them on a child! x

      Delete
  3. I made a loan of $25 a couple years ago through Kiva. Since then it has been paid back, redistributed, and paid back again 3 times, it has now been distributed to the 4th lendee. It is just amazing how the same $25 can help person after person pursue their dreams and equip them to provide for themselves and their family. Great organization!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing that the same donation of $25 can be almost recycled in a way to help person after person!

      Such a good organisation! I can't think of another where $25 could help 4 people achieve their dream! x

      Delete
  4. Hi Jenny,

    Saw your post in the Kiva Christians group message and checked out your blog. Very true, it is surprising how little can go so far! I have 25 loans I have made since March 2012 and focus on quick 8 months or less repayment terms so my initial investment has now more than doubled, close to tripled.

    I can only think to when I was a student in college in Canada and needed money for a computer to complete my studies. I would not have been able to complete my studies without the computer loan. Thankfully the government at that time was gracious enough to have a program for at risk students like me and I got my loan and computer, which was paid back on time. I completed my studies and came in 2nd in my class.

    Kiva gives me the opportunity to share my wealth with others, just like others had done for me.

    God Bless!
    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete