Monday, 3 June 2013

Introducing My Girls!

I am so excited to share this with you! I can't believe that I am lucky enough to be able to write to these girls and to encourage them in their lives and in their faith. Such a blessing! After I decided that I would definitely be sponsoring with Compassion UK I was ready to just jump right in! Then came the hard part of actually choosing a child. I felt drawn to sponsoring a girl which narrowed it down a little but still left a lot of children! I decided scroll through the pictures and see which called to me. I was sure that I would get guidance in this too! After a while I had narrowed it down to ten .... then with prayer to two .... then with tears to one. Oh but it broke my heart to leave the other little girl behind! 

I knew I could afford to sponsor one but doubling that amount to pay for two was a big commitment. I just cried and prayed and my eyes were drawn to a pile of magazines in my room. Magazines that I subscribed to and .... embarrassingly some that I merely flicked though each month and yet kept up the subscription. That was my sign! I realised that if I cancelled those subscriptions which suddenly appeared so frivolous and wasteful, I could sponsor a second child!


Meet Jenifer! She is 6 years old and lives in Indonesia. She lives with her parents and is an only child. She likes running and singing! She lives in a hillside community where most adults work as subsistence farmers and earn the equivalent of £45 per month. 


This is Loani! She is 12 and likes playing with friends and reading. She lives with her parents and there are 5 children in the family. Her home is on the plains of Honduras. Most adults here work in factories and earn the equivalent of £100 per month.  

Compassion works with children in a lot of different countries. Some people feel called to sponsor a child in a certain country, some choose a child whose age matches that of their own child to make it a family sponsorship, others, like me, choose the child that they are called towards. 


It is a big responsibility and not one that I took lightly at all. A child can stay in the Compassion programme until they are 18 or 22 depending on when they graduate and how it works in their country so this is a long term commitment. As well as the sponsorship of £21 per month for each child there is also the opportunity to send money via Compassion to your child. You can give individual gifts for the child for their birthday and there is also an option to give a family gift. Between the financial side and the letter writing this is a very real commitment. There is a child who will be told that you are their sponsor. It is amazing how fast I fell in love with my girls. There was an immediate connection there! 

I look forward to sharing more about my girls! 

Blessings,

Jenny

9 comments:

  1. Jenifer and Loani are so cute!!!! I'm so excited for you as you begin this adventure of sponsorship. And I look forward to learning more about your girls as you receive their letters!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to sharing more about them and sponsorship!

      I just have to be patient as it can take AGES to get that first letter! x

      Delete
  2. Just wanted you to know that I sponsored a child in Ecuador because of your encouragement. She shares my younger daughter's middle name, and is the same age, so she was my natural choice. I'm looking forward to this journey with you, and with "our" girl too xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is so exciting!!

      I hope that you share about her on your blog! She sounds like a perfect match! x

      Delete
  3. Bless you and your dear girls also! I've felt drawn to help two particular charitable organizations recently but you are involved on a deeper level :-) How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of them are lovely. Here in the Philippines, we have so many opportunities to sponsor children. Our parish has a program, our community, but we chose to help kids from World Vision. It is wonderful to attend their fellowships and a grown up goes and speaks about how they were helped with their education and now THEY are sponsoring a child through school too! Blessings to you! patsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are all these amazing opportunities to help children that are in need!

      World Vision was the other charity that I was debating with - they all do such good work. x

      Delete
  5. Jenny,
    I am so happy for you, Jenifer & Loani! They are both beautiful and will be so blessed by your letters and prayers. It is exciting when letters to you arrive...it's great that prayers are delivered instantly. Keep Smiling!! :) Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the Compassion family! I am sure many beautiful life-changing experiences lie ahead for you and your girls. I can't wait to hear about how your relationship with them grows!

    ReplyDelete