Monday, 6 May 2013

My New Raised Beds.

So excited! They are finally built and in place and ready for plants. I have filled them up with manure as the base layer and then compost on top. I was dreading opening and digging in the manure but it really wasn't as bad as I expected. It smelt like cow but it wasn't utterly dreadful! 


I am going to put bricks between the beds so that it doesn't get muddy and I need to figure out a way to protect the seedlings that I plant out. Something to keep the sparrows off! Although Doris keeps walking on them too .... I have some plastic cloches and some fine fleece material so hopefully that will do. Plus I am hoping that the birds lose interest once the seedlings are a decent size. 

It is finally warming up outside so the seedlings that have been happily growing in my indoor propagators are being put out for a few hours at a time to get them used to the outside world! They will be planted out this week, weather permitting, as they are getting pretty big now. I also have some seeds that I want to sow directly into the ground. I will be watching the weather forecast closely! 

Blessings,

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! What seedlings do you have that you are going to plant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many things that I want to grow! Just got to decide which .... Thinking of trying square foot gardening too! x

      Delete