Sunday, 17 March 2013

Growing in Grace.

This is a little passage from the Still Waters book which touched my heart as I read it and I felt called to share it! 


Many a time a Christian is despondent over the little spiritual progress that is made. What should be done then? Look up to the God of peace, reconciled in Christ. He carried out His holy will in Christ, and raised Him from the dead. He can raise you too from the spiritual deadness you deplore. He can "make you perfect in every good work" - not, perhaps, to do all you desire, but to do His will. He can work within you  what He approves, and through the teaching, the example, the grace, the finished work of Jesus. Look away from self to Him.

John Hall

Look away from self to Him. How I needed to hear this! Too often I get caught up in what I want, what I think is best, and my plans totally disregarding the plan that God already has set in place for me. I am a worrier. This is something that I really struggle with! So many of my worries are about earthly things and they fade away when I focus on God and His Word. There is a hint there for me! When I focus on the worldly I am more likely to be discontent, stressed, and worried. When I focus on God's Word I feel secure, contented, and safe. 

I know what I need to do. I need to spend daily time in God's Word. Not rushed time or just ticking something off my to do list but really reading the scripture and thinking and praying about applying it to my life. Repetition and making it into part of my daily routine should hopefully help me be more committed and less likely to skip a day. 

Blessings,

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. I need to be reminded to look at Him instead of self on a daily basis. Today I was also reminded to accept the Kingdom as a little child too; children don't worry about where their next meal is coming from or whether the pastor is very inspired on Sunday or if the house is painted or not. Children just accept whatever comes and I need to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having that total trust must be amazing! I still struggle with all sorts of worries and I try to figure them out for myself when really I should pray first! x

      Delete