Monday, 25 February 2013

Redcurrants and Blackcurrants.

So, they don't look very promising right now but I am still filled with a naive, amateur gardener's hope! These rather dead looking sticks will hopefully develop into healthy and productive redcurrant and blackcurrant bushes. I bought two of each kind, soaked the roots overnight, planted them into the garden, and then ..... it snowed!

I checked this morning and one has the tiniest bit of green on it! In typical Jenny-fashion I can't remember which is which as all four look alike...... Time will tell! 



Possibly the dullest photographs on the blog! I am getting very excited about gardening though, in a way that never happened with flowers. There is something about trying to grow your own food. Getting your hands dirty and waiting for those tiny, potential filled shoots to appear. There is a sort of wholesome pleasure to it and that feeling that you are doing something productive. Of course, I am not going to be self sufficient with fruit and vegetables. Not a chance with my tiny plot! Every little helps though and I can't wait to compare home grown to supermarket bought! 

Blessings,

Jenny

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Nothing beats fresh picked, homegrown fruit and you will be able to make your own jams too. Couple of thoughts here: don't expect fruit in the first year as (I think) blackcurrants fruit on two year old growth. I always use the RHS pages for help. Also, every blackbird in your general vicinity will see 'your' blackcurrants as 'theirs' so be prepared to cover the bushes or lose quite a lot of your crop. I have even been attacked! Such fun though, Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three red currant bushes planted two years ago and they have been very hardy in the snow. Fortunately it seems like deer don't care for them so they are doing very well and I hope for enough to make jelly. My mom made currant jelly when I was a child and it's a favorite. Last year I tried raspberries but we had a terrible drought and hot spell and I overwatered them and they died. I will be very surprised if any come up from the root this year. Deer eat roses and rhubarb and the spray I put on the rhubarb killed it so it was a bad year for me. Maybe this year will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited with you and for you. Looking forward to more posts on your food growing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny,
    I had a black current bush once. I didn't get it planted that year and left it in the pot over the winter. That year we had a hard frost and the roots froze. I lost the bush, so plan on getting more again.
    They did bear fruit the first year I had them though. The best part was the flower. They are tiny yellow blossoms with a POWERFUL Clove fragrance! Oh my was that wonderful. I'd buy and grow them again just for the blossom's fragrance.

    Blessings on your bushes and gardening, Mrs. J.

    ReplyDelete