Thursday, 13 December 2012

A 1950s Housewife.

This book was recommended to me on Amazon before it had even been published so it was on my wishlist for a while. Finally it was released and I ordered it! It sounded so perfect for me as I love the 1950s and homemaking. Such fun to find a book that combined both interests! 


I love the cute cover art. It looks so retro and the housewife looks happy! Such a nice change to see a positive image relating to homemaking. 


The back shows an old advertisement and receipt. I have a collection of magazines from the 1950s and far prefer them to the modern equivalent! Much easier to relate to. The advertisements always fascinate me! 

The book covers many topics relating to women and their lives in the 1950s including wedding traditions, making a house a home, the daily routine, leisure time, shopping and health and beauty. Plus there are interesting appendices covering popular books, films, television shows, and musicals from the 1950s. I have seen quite a few of the films mentioned but have read very few of the books. Something I want to work on! 

Overall it is a very interesting book and one that I would recommend to people interesting in the 1950s and how women lived then. There is a chapter on marital relations which focussed mainly on how it wasn't a topic to be discussed in that era so I would suggest that younger readers check with their parents first. Other than that one chapter I found the book really engaging and enjoyed the writing style. 

Blessings,

Jenny

1 comment:

  1. It's very interesting to me that you have an interest in that era and admire it. I was born in 1952 so I have first hand memories of it. We were rather poor so my memories weren't all good but the real key is to be found in your own words: "it wasn't a topic to be discussed." It was a very repressive era; many things, personal issues, were swept under the rug and hidden instead of worked out and improved. People were expected to live up to certain standards , individualism was discouraged (your handbag and shoes should match, etc). Maybe it was different in the UK, I hope it was.

    I'm really sorry that my comments are so negative. Maybe I should read this book and discover the positive side of the 50s!

    ReplyDelete