Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Helmsley Trip 2012.

I went on a little day trip to Helmsley! I hadn't been before and it was so quaint. Just such a shame that it rained pretty much all day. We drove through lovely scenery with hills, valleys, fields and forest. We also passed through a number of little villages. They were so picturesque! 

Helmsley is a market town in North Yorkshire. It is quite compact around the market square which I believe is the Mediaeval layout. It is a town with a long history right back to 3,000 BC and has seen Vikings, Normans and Romans! 

I didn't get many photographs due to the rain but I wanted to share a couple.


A couple of the shops around the market square. I bought some delicious chocolate cookies from the bakery to take home. I always take a little something home for my family after a trip out. They were so delicious! 


I wanted everything in the antique shop window! There was a beautiful Regency style desk which was incredible but also had an incredible price! 


Looking up the main street in Helmsley. Most of the shops were little one off boutiques. A little expensive for my tastes but interesting to look around! 


Helmsley church. I wanted to get closer to take more photographs but the ground was so muddy and slippery around it! 


This was a pub right opposite where we waited for the bus to pick us up. So cute with the greenery and flowers! 


This is the inside of the coffee shop where we had lunch. It was nice to get out of the rain as it was quite heavy at that point. It was really sweet and I loved the cushions and rooster in the window!   


I love sugar lumps! I did actually eat a proper lunch though! There was so much choice on the menu. I ended up with turkey and cranberry sandwiches and the ladies I ate with had Yorkshire ham and tuna. The meat was so lovely! The Yorkshire ham especially was so thick and delicious. Yes, we all shared sandwiches and had a couple of each kind! 


Right outside the coffee shop was a little stream. It was shallow but fast moving. It was a little deeper by the end of the day after a full day of rainfall.


Looking the other way down the stream. 


There were flowers all around the town! Almost every shop had flowers over the doors and windows or in big planters outside. They really brightened the place up even in the rain! 

Blessings,

Jenny

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post!I have always wanted to see England but cannot travel there.So I live in Oregon with my husband Steven and 2 cats and I travel via posts like this!Thank you for sharing this wee bit of your day.~Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I go anywhere pretty I try to remember my camera! It is just a shame that it was too wet to go to the castle as I would have loved to have photographed that!

      Delete
  3. thank you for sharing such a lovely day out. Sugar lumps . . a guilty pleasure . . have you ever dipped the brown ones in black coffee just long enough to nearly crumble? You should try it! I think it is sweet to take something back for those who could not go along, my family love the surprise. Celtic♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always take something home ... generally something edible!

      I do love sugar lumps - especially the brown ones - I will have to try the coffee thing soon. It sounds lovely!

      Delete
  4. It is so beautiful. I've always wanted to go to England.

    ReplyDelete