Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Review - My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife.

I bought this book quite a long time ago with the intention reading it and then writing a review on here. I managed the reading bit but never got around to the review. I have now read the book for a second time! The book is called My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife and the author is Sara Horn. 

The back cover of the book says -

Sara Horn always admired the Proverbs 31 wife ... from afar. But when she became a busy writer and mom, that image began to look like an impossible ideal. 

Or was it?

With humility and humor, Sara set out to immerse herself in all things domestic just to see if the Proverbs 31 woman could exist in the twenty-first century. But when her family's situation changes and she must return to a full-time job, she's forced to look at the Proverbs 31 woman from a whole new viewpoint. 


I really enjoyed this book! I find the Proverbs 31 woman to be both inspiring and intimidating so any book on the subject appeals to me. I truly related to some parts of the book such as "If God and I were going for a walk in the park, I'd be the kid running out in front, barely able to wait for him. Patience is not my strength. Waiting on God is hard." Wow! This is something I struggle with too. Plus I find that I get scared off when something seems like a big challenge. Trying to live like the Proverbs 31 woman definitely counts as a big challenge. I admire Sara for even attempting this! 

I loved Sara's writing style. It wasn't a dry textbook at all. It was warm and friendly, chatty and funny, and most of all human. I liked that she didn't hide anything that went wrong on this challenge and was open enough to share her mistakes. It was really interesting to see what happened when life interfered with the challenge! That is something that always seems to happen. You have a plan, a timetable, a schedule and then life comes in and stirs it all up. At that point it would be so easy to give up but Sara didn't! She is certainly a very busy lady! 

I did find the book inspiring to read. It showed me that I don't have to be inspired by the Proverbs 31 woman and be perfect and that falling short of her high standards doesn't mean that I have failed. The little changes also make an impact on life. It is a process not a switch that flicks and I will go wrong and slip back but it is no reason to give up and stop trying all together. I have signed up for the Summer session of Good Morning Girls which involves reading a book on  the Proverbs 31 woman as a group and sharing our findings. I am so looking forward to it! You can find out more about GMG here.  

Blessings, 

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. Jenny, well put! I am looking forward to reading this book. I am blessed by your openess about yourself! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jenny just wanted to pop in and say hello from one sugar pie farmhouse sister to another. I also am joining the GMG book session this summer. I love the Good morning Girls and have try to participate every chance I get. I also love reading Courtney's blog over at Women Living Well. it is one of my favorites to read. Just wanted to say hello and to have a wonderful rest of the week. I will have to read the book that you are talking about this is my first time even hearing about it but from your review it says great.

    ReplyDelete