Monday, 26 March 2012

Hyacinths.

I love the smell of hyacinths! With just a few flowers you can scent the whole garden. It is just a typically  sweet Spring scent whether the hyacinths are in the house or in the garden. It is incredible how much fragrance there is from each flower! They smell floral and old fashioned, delicate and yet lingering. It is a scent that is hard to describe but is instantly recognisable. 

I buy hyacinth bulbs most years and grow them in my room. After flowering they are planted out in the garden to be enjoyed year after year. My favourites are the blue ones but there are also pink, white and peach ones. They look so elegant with their covering of bell like flowers.  






Many of the bulbs I have planted out have split so that, instead of one large bloom, there are 3 or 4 smaller blooms. I really like that effect! Some people dig their bulbs up after flowering to prevent this splitting but, for me, it adds to the charm of the flower. 

I think that the colours in the blue flowers are amazing! I wish that they lasted longer but each flower takes it by turn. Soon there will be tulips and bluebells after the daffodils have faded. 

Blessings,

Jenny

4 comments:

  1. Starting them indoors sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to pick a different colour each year. The peach one was a surprise - it was supposed to be white!

    ReplyDelete