Monday, 13 February 2012

Keep a "REM" Book.

I read about this idea in a copy of the Heiress magazine from February 1953 and it is just so quaint and adorable that I had to share it!

A "REM" or remembrance book, is a personal store-house of memories and events, and keeping one is a fascinating and inexpensive hobby. This year - Coronation Year - you will have a host of special memories to store. 

Girls of Victorian days were encouraged by fond Mamas to keep these books, and the habit has lingered. 

The tools for making a "REM" book are few. A medium-sized exercise book is ideal (first attempts are best made on a small scale), plus a pot of paste, a roll of Cellotape - and plenty of enthusiasm. 

Where do you begin? Last month, perhaps, you attended a concert and the programme is still on the mantelpiece; you received a "good luck" telegram before you started your new job; and there is that label from the champagne bottle for brother Bill's twenty-first birthday party. All these make a start to your book. 

Fabric and "bumpy" objects cannot always be pasted in, but neat strips of Cellotape will solve the problem. Date each item entered, and write a few explanatory lines underneath. 

Once you have begun "REM" collecting, you will find yourself taking more interest in the people you meet, and the places you visit. 

The oddest things will find their way into your collection - cinema tickets, postcards, pressed flowers, snippets from your first evening dress, letters from friends, luggage labels, and so on. They all go to make up a record of your activities, which would otherwise be forgotten, perhaps. 

Girls who keep "REMs" from an early age will get endless pleasure from their books in years to come, although the greatest fun certainly lies in the collecting and compiling. Your first "diary" of souvenirs will soon become just one of a small library. 

Collecting articles and information may at first seem hard work, but once the first blank pages are filled, you will find "REMs" come your way without any hunting. A wet afternoon will never be dull when you have a store of treasures to paste into an ever-thickening volume. There is also the satisfaction of knowing that, however bad your memory may be, days you have enjoyed can always be brought to mind by the turn of a page. 

Your "REM" book remembers for you, so why not start one right away?

Anne Oliver. 

I have a pretty scrapbook just waiting for the perfect inspiration. At the moment it seems like sacrilege to write, draw and stick items to those clean, bright pages! I do like the idea of pasting pictures, mementoes as well as ribbons and lace on to the pages. I have some vintage magazines that are in very poor condition that could be used in this way. One is all about the Queen's coronation so that feels like a fitting place to start especially in this year which marks her Diamond Jubilee! 

Blessings, 

Jenny

3 comments:

  1. That is such a neat idea! I did something similar for my first scrapbook. Since I didn't have a camera, my first scrapbook didn't have any pictures, but it did have lots of little things picked up from birthday parties, etc...! If I ever have any daughters someday, I think I'd like to start a REM book for them even before they're old enough to do it. Then as they get older they can do it themselves. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I tried to keep a real scrap-book when I was a young girl and I do know that clear tape doesn't age well. But it still is fun to look at the stuff, even if it is falling out of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny, I had a 'REM' book a few years ago, and I filled it up with all sorts of things, including lots of dried flowers that my brothers and friends gave me :-) I love looking back and remembering where each thing came from. I would write a little note next to each thing, (ie. the date, who it was from etc). The book eventually got a bit too fat to put much more in, and I haven't done another one since then.

    ReplyDelete