Sunday, 8 January 2012

A Hint of Spring.

Spring seems so far away! Dark mornings, dark evenings and cold weather. Imagine how scary it would be if you didn't know that Spring would follow Winter. It already seems like Winter has been here for such a long time but at least it will soon be Spring. I am looking for the first signs of Spring on my walks. Little buds poking up from the cold soil, bravely testing the air to see if it is time to bloom. Birds begin collecting material for their nests and soon will be franticly flying to and fro to feed their little families. I love that the days get longer in Spring and I miss the light early mornings and waking to the sound of birds singing. 

In an attempt to convince myself that Spring really is on the way I now have a little pot of narcissus bulbs on my windowsill. 


All that potential hidden away just waiting for the right time to burst out in wonderful colour! 


While the garden seems dormant it isn't really. I am sure that there is much going on under the soil! All preparing for Spring. There is a lot to do in the garden at this time. I am clearing leaves and cutting back shrubs and adding the cuttings to my compost bin. I am also planning what I want to grow this year and I really need to get on with it as I need to order the fruit trees soon. It is quite a scary thing to do as there still could be a frost! So far this Winter has been mild compared to the last one but there could still be snow which would damage the trees. 

Between my Kitchen Garden book, the book on Self Sufficiency and Keepers at Home magazine I am starting to feel like a real gardener! 

Blessings, 

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny! It's Lisa from the Help Meet group. :-)

    We are given such a wonderful promise of new life and having your plant is a perfect reminder of that!

    Hope you are having a great weekend!
    Many blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! Your blog is so cute - I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete