Monday, 10 October 2011

Starting to Garden.

This coming year I am planning to grow vegetables and fruit. I know that my tomatoes didn't work out well, or at all really, this year but I intend to prepare this time!


This is my little patch! Not big or impressive at all really. It is about 8 feet squared. I removed a big buddleia bush from the edge. A lot more work than I expected as it went really deep!  I have also dug over all the soil as it was well compacted down and is quite a heavy soil. The vague plan I have is to have an columnar apple tree and maybe a cherry tree too as well as some vegetables such as runner beans, potatoes, tomatoes, peas and carrots. I also would love to grow salad and maybe a little blueberry bush. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself though and I plan on treating my first year as a time of learning and practising. 


Here are two books that I found on sale. I think perhaps the storing produce one is a bit optimistic! The kitchen garden book is really interesting though as covers what is to be planted each month as well as garden tasks like building raised beds. Each month has one or two practical projects such as tackling weeds, sewing seedlings, watering and planning your kitchen garden. I need to work on preparing the soil for plants. Maybe a compost bin would be a good idea! 


There are a lot of magazines around on the topic of growing fruits and vegetables. Many come with free seeds each month as well as offers on reduced price plants to buy. I won't buy every magazine every month but I will look out for the ones with relevant topics in them such as starting out in gardening. 

My dream would be a little house in the countryside with a vegetable patch, herb garden, fruit bushes and chickens! I just love the idea of eating something that I have grown from seed. I can't keep chickens here but I intend to make the best of what I can do. There are so many options of what to grow!  

Do you grow food for your family? Any tips for a beginner would be appreciated! 

Blessings, 

Jenny

3 comments:

  1. I love growing food! It's so nice to be able to go out and pick whatever you want for supper. Your dirt looks a little lumpy. If it's clay in the dirt making clumps, get a little gypsum and compost or manure to sprinkle on this fall and leave it all winter. Then, next spring, just work it into the dirt. You might have to repeat it again next year. And a compost bin is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am about the same place you are right now, will be working on my soil this winter. You should try a compost pile. You don't have to have a bin or a big pile. I just put equal amounts of dead and green vegetation on it and stir it up and keep it moist and it is working out great. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gardening! Although I am not always that successful. I always try to grow as many tomatoes as humanly possible because I like to can them. I think you need 2 apple trees for them to pollinate...and I also recommend the compost or manure on your garden this fall so it can build up the soil for the spring! Try lasagna gardening :-)

    ReplyDelete