Tuesday, 6 September 2011

An Old Fashioned Girl.

I love this book! It was written by Louisa May Alcott who also wrote Little Women and Good Wives. This might seem odd to some but I prefer An Old Fashioned Girl to any other book that Alcott wrote. It is one of my favourites and has been since I first read it as a child. I still read it at least once a year! 


As you can see from the photograph, I am part way through it again. If I feel myself getting too caught up in the world I read this book again as it is all about being true to yourself. Polly Milton is a girl who lives in the country and is, perhaps, a little naive. She goes to visit her more worldly cousins in the city and there is much temptation to change and to become more interested in the frivolous and vacuous pleasures rather than in the solid values that she was raised to treasure. Polly is such a sweet character and yet you do warm to her as she is human and isn't presented as perfect and flawless. 

It isn't a preachy book but it does have moral lessons woven into the story. Themes of being true to yourself, being kind to others and respecting your elders are timeless, as is this adorable little story! 

Do you read your favourite childhood books again in adulthood? 

Blessings, 

Jenny

8 comments:

  1. Saw this on Raising Homemakers.

    I am the same way. I love to re-read favorite childhood books. I've never heard of this one, but it sounds really good, definitely something I would like to read.

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with this one, but I thank you for the recommendation. Miss Abigail also has worldly cousins and because we live in the country and are perhaps a little naive, I think I'll get a copy of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book - I definitely recommend it!

    I reread books quite a lot really. I like to read Little Women in Winter, all snuggled up and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a wonderful book, I will have to find a copy to read. Yes, I love to re-read my favorite books from time to time. I just love some of my favorite childhood classics. Thanks for the great book suggestion :) ~April

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book! When I was growing up, I think I liked it even more than Little Women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping over from " Homemaker by choice". I wish i could find a moment to enjoy a leisurely read. How I miss it so... and this book sounds like one worth curling up with. I will definitely try to keep it in mind, the next time I get a "moment".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to re-read it again. Long Autumn nights just seem perfect for revisiting old favourite books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanx for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete