Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Cheese and Celery Bread.

I made cheese and celery bread - bit of an experiment but one that worked out. It was lovely and disappeared really quickly. 

Ingredients. 

250g self raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
50g butter or margarine
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
100g Cheshire cheese, grated
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 standard egg, beaten
100ml milk

Well grease a 400g (1 lb) loaf tin and set to one side. I used a silicone one as I like how flexible they are for removing the bread once it is baked. Using silicone bake wear does seem to increase cooking time slightly though - just something to be aware of! I check my bread quite frequently anyway and it took about 10 extra minutes to be done. 


Sieve together the flour and salt into a large bowl. I have both a metal sieve and a plastic one. I used the plastic one in this case as it is finer and seems to take all the lumps out. 


Rub in the butter or margarine. This takes quite a while! At first it seems to be forming bigger lumps rather than smaller ones.......


It should look quite fine with all the butter rubbed in and a texture almost like bread crumbs. 


Add the celery, cheese and garlic and mix well. All of the cheese and celery should have a floury coating. I love cheese and celery and combining the two in a bread really appealed to me!

I also stitched the oven on at this point to give enough time to preheat. 


Add the egg and milk and mix into a soft dough. I had the egg and milk in a glass jug so it was easy to beat and then pour into the flour mix. I just poured it all in at once and started stirring rather than adding bit by bit. 


The dough is quite sticky!


Knead the dough lightly with your hands (messy, messy!) in the bowl, form into an oblong shape and place into your prepared loaf tin. As I used a silicone loaf tin, I placed it on a baking tray to support it. 


Bake in a moderately hot oven (Gas Mark 5) for an hour or until golden brown and well risen. The whole kitchen smelt of bread!


Leave in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. See how long you can resist!


It can be served warm or cold and I think it would go really well with hot vegetable soup. It was delicious served warm with butter! 

Blessings, 

Jenny

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm excited about this. I have extra cheese and celery in the fridge and I said, "What on earth am I going to do with these?" Voila! :-) (I stopped by via Homemaker By Choice.) And I REALLY need to learn the metric system! Imperial measuring is silly but for now Google will convert the measures! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I got moving this morning and made the celery cheese bread. YUM! My husband is not a celery fan unless it has peanut butter on it, though. :-( But more for me! ;-) He agreed that it would go well with chowder or soup, so at least we found middle ground. For people using Imperial (USA) measures:

    250g self raising flour - About 2 cups
    1 teaspoon salt
    50g butter or margarine - About 1/4 cup
    2 sticks celery, finely chopped
    100g Cheshire cheese, grated - About 3/4 cup give or take (and most any cheese works fine)
    1 small clove garlic, crushed
    1 standard egg, beaten
    100ml milk - About 7 tablespoons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it!

    Somehow there always seems to be cheese and celery around - perfect for this recipe! I also tried cheese and apple with less apple than celery and slightly less milk.

    It didn't last long at all here - always a good sign!

    Thank you for sharing the imperial measurements too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Carrie B remarked about this on Google+ -- we are always looking for ways to use up extra celery too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful, this bread would be perfect for soup, I love celery and have never thought of putting it in bread before- thanks for sharing this great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful...definitely something that would compliment soup!

    Connie
    www.treasures-evermore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    This looks yummy! I just found your blog from the barn hop. Can't wait to check it out further. Please stop by and visit me! I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love homemade bread, but I don't think I've ever tried putting celery in it before.

    BTW, found your blog via Raising Homemakers.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never would have thought of doing a celery bread, but it kind of makes sense since you put celery in stuffing/dressing. I'm adding this to my list for this weekend. Just one thing: I'm not familiar with Cheshire cheese.

    BTW, thanks again for joining the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would think that any hard cheese that you can grate would work. I have been trying different types and they all seem to work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to make this years ago, got the recipe from the side of a flour bag. Sadly I've not made it for a while as I could not remember or find my recipe. Thanks for this recipe. Cheese and celery bread can now be enjoyed in this home once more!:)

    ReplyDelete