Saturday, 20 August 2011

Lemon Cake.

Today I made a lemon cake. Well, mine was technically lemon and lime! It was a recipe that I hadn't tried before but, as I am trying to get better at baking, I thought I would give it a go. Nice and simple!

Ingredients

175g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
225g self raising flour
2tbsp milk
6tbsp lemon juice (or 3 of lemon and 3 of lime)
Optional zest of a lemon (I was unprepared!)

Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 and lightly butter and flour a 900g loaf pan. I used a silicone pan so I also put it on a baking tray to keep it level. 

  

Cream the butter and sugar together until they are evenly blended and light in colour. This takes quite a while if you get the butter straight from the fridge like I did! 



The mixture should be light and fluffy. 


Whisk in the eggs a little bit at a time. If the mixture starts to separate add a little of the flour to the mix and keep stirring!



I found it pretty easy with a hand whisk. It really didn't take long at all so I didn't think it was worth getting the electric mixer out. Plus I tend to over mix using the electric one! 


Sift the remaining flour to remove any lumps and then fold this in to the mixture a little at a time with a metal spoon. Then add the milk and lemon (and lime!) juice and make sure that it is all evenly mixed in. 


Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, making sure that you get it right into the corners, and level off the top. 


Bake for one hour or until a baking skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. 


Mine went a little wrong as you can see! For some reason the middle of the cake lifted up like a volcano! 


It did taste lovely though in spite of appearances! It was light and sweet with just a little tang from the lemon. 

Blessings, 

Jenny

3 comments:

  1. The cake looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe, though I'm not sure what castor sugar is...;o) I don't think you did anything wrong. Quick breads, which are baked in a loaf pan, often rise in the middle like that. When you bake muffins, you want them to look just like that. If you had baked it in a flat cake pan, perhaps it wouldn't have had quite that much rise. But it certainly isn't unattractive in a loaf cake. Kudos for trying - I should take your example. I'm not much of a baker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the equivalent of castor sugar is fine sugar? Not 100% sure though!

    Ah, I thought I had done something wrong and that was why it had risen up. I want to learn to bake all sorts of things!

    ReplyDelete