Saturday, 18 June 2011

Church Visit.

I love old buildings! I have always enjoyed wandering around looking at the architecture and just enjoying the atmosphere.  It is even more enjoyable now that I have a camera! Here are a few photographs from a recent visit to a church. 

Looking up at the church. Playing with angles while trying not to fall backwards off the steps! I love that the church is so imposingly built and yet is welcoming. I really wanted to go inside and wasn't intimidated as the structure isn't cold or clinical. 


I wonder what the old stones know and what prayers they have heard over the years. All those whispered and fervent prayers over hundreds of years! Faith, hope, sorrow and joy will all have been expressed in the church and somehow you can feel it. Even with other people walking around there is a feeling of calmness and peace. 


Another angle shot! This time taken from the road while trying to dodge cars as there was quite a high wall around the church grounds. 



I love that even the ceiling is decorated! This one is blue with stars and others are carved stone and one section even has painted faces on it. 


Looking down the centre of the church. What a lovely focal point the window makes! The carved stone walls and columns really lead your eye. 



I love stained glass windows and tried to get a few photographs of them. A couple came out but it was a very sunny day so most had too much light and the detail and colour was lost. 

I could spend hours in and around churches. In this church I felt that I could sit for as long as I wanted and not feel rushed. It was a lovely calm time in the middle of quite a busy and stressful week. The peaceful and settled feeling carried with me all through the day! 

Blessings,

Jenny

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I feel like I visited the church too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Jenny! It's amazing how good architecture can draw our eyes up, and with them our souls. Thanks for taking us along on your visit. :-) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO beautiful!! I love old buildings..well anything old really!! Here in America we have old churches..but I be in England the churches are even older and so much more beautiful!! I feel as if I've visited England now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you all liked it! It was such a good day - lovely and sunny and perfect for wandering around a nice, cool church!

    This church took ages to build but was finished in 1425 so it is quite old.

    ReplyDelete