Saturday, 16 April 2011

April 16th.

Gather ye rose-buds while ye may,
Old time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles to-day,
To-morrow may be dying.

R Herrick

Flowers that seem to vibrant today may be faded and withered by tomorrow. This poem reminds me to live my life - not to be a bystander but to be an active participant. Not to be contented with spending hours watching mindless television or any activity that has no worth. I want to be creating things! I want to have something to show for my time be it a cake that I have made or a table cloth that I have sewn. Or I want to have learnt something - spending time reading the Bible and other books with Godly influence - rather than vapid fiction books and magazines. 

Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. 

Psalm 39 : 4

Life is fleeting - God tells us this. How many days do we while away in pointless activities? God wants more from us! He wants us to achieve and to set an example for others. We weren't designed to be inactive but to be productive. I struggle with procrastination and laziness - a sin that I wish that I could rid myself of. I keep praying and struggling as I find it much easier to just sit and waste time than to motivate myself to do anything. Even when I intend to get up bright and early I think "just five more minutes" over and over and before I know it an hour has passed. An hour or so may not sound like much but if one hour a day is wasted it soon adds up to a considerable amount of time. If I waste an hour a day that adds up to FIFTEEN DAYS in a year! What could I do with that time? There are so many possibilities and wasted opportunities. 

Blessings, 

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment