Sunday, 6 February 2011

Attempting To Bake.

I am learning to bake! Yesterday I made a cake. Technically I cheated as it was a packet mix but I need all the practice I can get!


Loved the idea of strawberry cake! Plus the cake mix was all weighed out which made it much easier for a novice like me. I set the oven and put on a pretty apron and got to work!


The mixture turned a lovely pink colour when the water, oil and eggs were added. Lots and lots of mixing later all the lumps were gone! I wanted to do it properly so I used a wooden spoon rather than an electric mixer. Wow! My arms ached! 


Next I poured the mixture into two greased cake tins - very carefully so not to spill any of the mixture. They weren't exactly equal but it was pretty close. 


As I was doing the baking I got to lick the bowl! It made me feel so young! 


The shelves in the oven were a little too close together and I didn't realise how much the cakes would rise so one got a little ...... damaged! 


I spread the frosting on the cake and had my second issue! As I was spreading it on the damaged cake bits of the cake stuck to the frosting so it got a bit messy as I kept trying to stick the cake back down. Fortunately the top of the cake went far better!


The finished cake complete with pink sprinkles! It was a lovely bright pink colour inside and was so light and fluffy! I really enjoy baking and I think I will love it more and more the better at it I get. 

Blessings, 

Jenny

4 comments:

  1. What a happy pink cake. Looks fun and yummy!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog - I look forward to reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love strawberry cake! Here are some baking tips that I've found useful--let the cake cool completely, then stick it in the fridge for an hour or two. It'll be more firm and easier to ice. Also, when applying the icing, put on a glob and smooth/spread it out. The point it to try and not lift the knife/spreader or go over the same area more than once, which will help avoid the crumbly effect. It would probably be better in a video, but I hope this helps. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must be where I went wrong! I was so excited to ice the cake that I can't have left it to cool for long enough!

    So helpful - thank you!

    ReplyDelete