Sunday, 16 January 2011

Time.

Where do the days go? Many times I have had a list of things to do in a day and yet, when the end of the day arrives, I haven't achieved much at all. In spite of my good intentions time just vanishes. All I have is more time spent on procrastination practice! It made me think about how I see time. Time is important and valuable and yet I fritter it away like it is nothing and like it will never run out. 

How do I spend my time? I work full time outside the home so that time isn't really my own. I am organised and used to meeting deadlines at work but somehow I don't carry it into my home life. I can get lost in a book for hours at a time and, while I enjoy reading, I don't have anything to show for that time. There are many things that should be prioritised over reading fiction books. If I procrastinated less and wasted less time I would have time to do all sorts of things. Things that I convince myself there aren't enough hours in the day to do. Adding up all the time I have wasted would lead to a very scary total, weeks maybe months of nothingness. 

Those hours that I have wasted in idleness could have been spent learning and improving my skills and myself. I can't keep deceiving myself that it doesn't matter or falling into that modern trap of thinking that "me time" is essential. If I cut out the mindless television watching and the fiction books, neither of which improve or enhance my life, I would have time to learn new skills and to focus more on being a better person. 

I can't get the time back that I have wasted but I can work hard to reduce the hours I waste in the future. I will fill my time with industry not idleness!

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 

Ephesians 5 : 15 - 16

Blessings, 

Jenny

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Jenny. This is just what I needed to read! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you, Jenny ~ you are learning such wonderful wisdom at a young age, and God will honor your commitment to live a life pleasing to Him.

    Blessings, dear one,

    Becky

    P.S. Don't be too hard on yourself ~ God LOVES you regardless of whether you waste time or not (unfortunately, I do every day...but I'm getter better. Perhaps that is all He wants ~ for us to be intentional about doing better and then moving forward, since...perfection will have to wait until heaven.) For He who began a good work in you, Jenny, will complete it in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete