Monday, 6 December 2010

Who do I want to be?

I think that everyone has good and bad traits in their character. I certainly have quite a mix! Some traits you have to work on and develop and others you have to work on and conquer. I feel like my feminine side is a bit battered after I have squashed it away when I was scared of being different or viewed as weak. Perhaps it is like a little seed that needs protecting and nourishing to grow and flourish. To fulfil its potential this little seedling needs sunlight from God and dedication from me.

I have never really thought about the sort of person I want to be. I sort of assumed that the way I acted was the way I was meant to act. What I am coming to realise is that I have to make a choice. Either I can hide in the background and blend in by supressing the things that make me different to my peers (my faith, traditional values and thoughts on modesty and morality) or I can be brave and be the real me even if it means being different and standing out. 

I am a work in progress. I truly, hand on heart, want to be a good person and I am willing to put time and effort into improving myself. Being the type of person that I am I wrote a list! 

Characteristics I want to develop:

Honesty
Modesty
Humbleness
Patience
Tenderness
Conscientiousness
Cheerfulness
Thankfulness
Warmth 
Obedience

I have probably missed a few from that list! I have a copy on paper too which I will be adding to as and when I think of another.  

Characteristics I want to conquer:

Selfishness
Procrastination
Laziness
Sarcasm
Pride
Vanity
Gossiping
Stubbornness

Some of the big, bad ones in there! It is quite scary to see my faults laid out like that in black and white (or purple and pink on here) for the world to see. Honesty in facing my flaws is the first step and an essential one!

I have a lot of work ahead of me! I have made progress already but there is certainly a long way to go.  I have faith though. I won't achieve perfection, I know that, but I have somewhere high up to aim for. 

Blessings,

Jenny

4 comments:

  1. You'll be in my prayers, my new bloggy friend. God can change anyone and anything - although He does it in His own way and in His own time.

    I believe He's been working in me in lots of different ways in the past few years - during the time I have been blogging actually. He is faithful to show us the truth about ourselves and Himself, and He is faithful to finish the work He started in us! We are His workmanship (Ephesians 2:10, Philippians 2:13), so take heart and revel in the beauty of His work in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for you kind comments Ruth!

    I think anything is possible with God's help and a willing heart. I am hoping that this blog will be a good tool to make me think more deeply about life and will show my progress over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a wonderful book called The Power of True Success that we use to study character qualities. It covers 49 qualities and is very thorough. I highly recommend it as you pursue growth in these areas. One thing I've found is that when I grow in positive character, those bad traits seem to fall away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! That book looks really interesting. Just got to find a copy on a UK site and I am set.

    ReplyDelete