Thursday, 30 December 2010

New Year's Resolutions.

I tend to either half heartedly make resolutions most years or not bother at all. Even if I do make them, I rarely keep them. This year is different! This year I know I have God's support and that with God all things are possible. I am a tiny bit obsessed with lists so my resolutions are quite in depth but I feel like this is the best way for me. I feel energised, positive and like these things really are possible. 

My resolutions fall under some broad headings. These are:

God
Health
Money
Appearance
Home Making
Hope Chest
Blogging

It sure looks like a lot of big issues there! To make it less scary each heading has a breakdown. If I achieve half of them I will be thrilled, if I achieve all of them - wow! What a blessing that would be!

The breakdowns ......

1 - God. 
I am going to read my Bible a lot more and I would like a set time to do this to ensure that I achieve a minimum time per week reading God's word. I would like to find a good plan to follow as at the moment I just read random bits! I want what I am reading to sink in properly too so that I really absorb it. I think the best way to do this is by doing little studies - kind of like book reports - so I can check that I am understanding what I am reading and perhaps to make me think more deeply about the messages. I also have a couple of inspiring books that I want to read through the year to boost me up and to help me on this wonderful journey. I want to pray more and to really develop my relationship with God and to make it stronger and to really appreciate how wonderful and generous God is. 

2 - Health.
I really don't appreciate my health or my body enough especially considering what a gift being well and able is. I intend to get fit and healthy in 2011! I aim to develop good habits to carry through into the rest of my life. Also I will focus on eating nutritious food, drinking plenty of water, getting enough sleep and getting out into the fresh air. This is something I will have to review often to motivate myself and to check my progress. 

3 - Money.
This year I will have a proper budget (and stick to it!) as I want to stop emotional spending. The kind when I feel a bit stressed and down and, rather than facing my feelings, I buy something to cheer myself up. Not a long term solution! I will learn the difference between needs and wants. My big aim is not to bury my feelings and to face them and deal with them. 

4 - Appearance.
I want to make more effort with my appearance and I want to look more feminine. I have already started wearing skirts a lot more often and I want to carry this forward into 2011 and to build upon this. I don't want to wear lots of make up or to attract attention to myself, I just want to look natural, modest, healthy and (dare I say it?) pretty! I intend to wear more feminine colours and fabrics and I think this will be easier going into Spring as the weather gets better and the beautiful Spring colours burst out.  I also want to work on having a more feminine manner (less clumping about!) and being more considerate of others. 

5 - Home Making. 
This one has 2 parts. The first is finding the joy in home making tasks. I don't want to view housework and serving others as drudgery - I want a servant's heart! I want to see the value of hard work and a job well done. The second part is to learn more home based skills. There are so many that I would love to learn! On my list are to keep baking, to learn cooking, knitting, crocheting, sewing and to continue making cards. I have some lovely DVDs by the West Ladies to help me and I am really excited to learn some practical skills. 

6 - Hope Chest. 
I have a big wicker chest which is going to be my hope chest. I don't think it will be a traditional hope chest with heirlooms and such in it. It will be more somewhere for my learning tools to be, a place for those books and things that I will be using to learn new skills and in developing as a person. So far it has a few inspiring and home related magazines, books and DVDs in it. Plus that is currently where my Bible is stored. I like that it is a big chest and that it is in my room where I can get to it at all times. I want to keep building it up as a kind of reference and inspiration library. 

7 - Blogging.
I am still very new to blogging - less than a month - but really enjoying it so far! I like that my blog is somewhere I can write what I am feeling and what I am learning. I want it to be a record of my progress too, showing the positive steps I am taking. I intend to keep writing blog posts regularly through out 2011. 

Well, those are my goals for the New Year! It really looks like a lot written down like that but there are 12 months to achieve it in. Even if I just make progress towards my goals I will be happy. After all, it is the journey that is the most important. Oh I am excited though! 

Blessings,

Jenny

5 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! Those are great New Year's Resolutions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I think I will be a busy bee this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jenny!
    Thanks for your comment. =) Yes, I do subscribe to KBR, and I enjoy it very much!
    Many Blessings in 2011,
    ~Annie~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for making resolutions. I think it's good for ourselves, and David, in the psalms, often covenanted with God, didn't he... so I reckon it's a Biblical thing to do.
    Of course we will fail at keeping all our resolutions. Often! But still - they give us some goals. And, as we've often heard said. 'If you aim at nothing, that's what you'll hit'!
    Happy New Year from Scotland, or, as we'd say in Gaelic, 'Bliadhna Mhath Ur' x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many good thoughts, Jenny! I haven't been much for New Year's resolutions either, though in the past couple of years, I've been making resolutions all along the way to listen and learn and move deeper and deeper into the Spirit and Kingdom of God. I have a long way to go! but I can see how much work He has done in me already! and I agree that blogging is a wonderful chronicle of His work and my journey.

    May God bless you and help you in the work He's laid out for you!

    ReplyDelete