Wednesday, 8 December 2010

The Heart of the House.

I think of the kitchen as the heart of house. I am learning to cook and bake and I just love to put on a pretty apron and bake treats for the people I care about. My favourite thing to make so far is bread as I love kneading it by hand and the anticipation while waiting for it to rise. Warm, homemade bread, straight from the oven – such a lovely treat!

The kitchen isn’t very big but it is bright and cheery. I sing along to the radio and dance about! There is something about putting on an apron that makes me feel all domestic. It feels natural to me. This weekend I made cherry scones and, as I was also wearing a skirt, I felt like a proper little home maker!

Baking something from scratch for someone says to them that they are worth the extra time and effort that you have taken. That they are special and that you want them to feel cared for. You add the ingredients like flour to your baking but you also put in a big dollop of love!

I am learning that doing things for the people that you love (like baking and cleaning) isn’t drudgery. These tasks are a physical, tangible expression of your love and affection for them when done well. Housekeeping may be a duty but, with a positive attitude and a sunny spirit, it can be a pleasure too.

 I am changing my thought processes to view even the tasks I don’t like as a blessing. I generally don’t like ironing and will put it off for as long as possible but I should be thankful that I had clothes to iron and, likewise, I am thankful to have a home to clean. My aim is to find the joy in every task! In that way I am putting my heart into my work and home. 

Blessings,

Jenny

5 comments:

  1. I love doing all that is require to make house and home :-) And the more I do it hte more I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! I love baking bread and cooking from scratch too! I agree that it is a way to show your family you love them.

    Thank you for your comment on my blog about Discouraging Other Women. I was really blessed by what you shared. I was not raised in a believing home either and have had a lot of hurdles to overcome as well. You said that you do not have any friends who are believers and you feel different because you have old fashioned ideas. I love the last part! I think it is good to stick to the older simpler ways. As for friends, have you found a good church nearby? I know sometimes it is intimidating but I would find a church with a good women's ministry and join their Bible study. I have met lots of lovely ladies that way. I am glad you started blogging. The blog world has been such an encouragement to me in my journey as well. God bless you in your homekeeping and growing in the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I love keeping the home for my crew! There's nothing like your family telling you they love the meal you made with love for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it brings me so much joy to cook for my family and with my girls by my side. it becomes some of the most intimate moments with my girls and i cherish those memories! my children and husband always seem to feel so loved by the simple things like fresh baked bread and a hot pot of soup i have been tending all afternoon....

    ReplyDelete