Tuesday, 28 December 2010

Being Humble.

Being humble is something that I struggle with and fight against. It seems to go against the grain on modern society and what I was taught as a child. At school you put you hand up when you knew the right answer and wanted the praise and attention that came with that. Even now, I see people getting attention for what they do and say and think "Notice me! Look what I can do! Acknowledge me!" Not very modest or humble at all. By seeking outside acknowledgement I am being the opposite of humble and demure. I am looking in the wrong places. I shouldn't be trying to live down to society's expectations, I should be trying to live up to God's expectations. God knows me and I should be striving to please him not seeking to impress my more worldly friends. 

Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord and He shall lift you up. 
James 4:10

Without God I have nothing and am nothing. In order to accept help and guidance I must be humble as if I think that my way is the best way, I will be less open to the knowledge and experience of those that know better than I do. I am too proud, too sensitive and too self absorbed. 

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus. Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross! 
Philippians 2 : 3 - 8

If Jesus could humble Himself so completely, why do I struggle so much? What is it that makes me find serving others so difficult? Jesus faced far stronger temptations that I do and yet He did not fail or sin, He stood strong and true and set such an example for us all to follow. Having a humble spirit and a servant's heart isn't going to be easy and it will require constant, conscious thought and effort. I admit that it scares me as I don't know if I am strong enough. Through God all things are possible and I have to hold on to my faith and be willing to ask for help when I need it and I surely will need it! God is faithful and strong and loves me, even though He sees my flaws more clearly than anyone else. 

Blessings, 

Jenny

  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny! Thanks for following Ordinary Inspirations. I'm following you back...

    Stay in touch :-)

    Love,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Your blog is lovely!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny. I identify so much with what you say here. It's true that our society, growing up in modern schools, pushes us and rewards us for achieving and performing and satisfying people rather than God... and it doesn't help that my personality tends to be one that hopes for and enjoys man's approval...

    To be humble and content and to remember that we are disallowed of men but chosen of God and precious is what truly matters!

    ReplyDelete